Tuesday 28 October 2014

The Northbank Restaurant, London

So earlier this week I went up to London to help my beautiful cousin (Jane) move into her new flat. We call each other twinnies, and so does the rest of the fam. If you ever meet us you’ll see why! Literally the same person…but anyway back to business. As there was no food in the flat, the only option was to eat out (any excuse!) so Jane decided on The Northbank Restaurant which looks out onto the Thames and is tucked underneath the Millennium Bridge. She explained that it’s unknown to tourists and I was sold. I find touristy restaurants just the worst; I prefer little hidden gems.

Excellent modern décor with a view of the river from the floor length windows that surround the restaurant. Our table was beautifully set, the cutlery glistened and the table cloths were pristine. We chose a booth that had low hanging lights at the centre of the table creating a gorgeous ambiance. They also looked fabulous…noting that one down for my future dining room! The waiter, Angelo, picked out some gorgeous reds for us. We started on an Italian Chianti, then moved to a Chateau Cabezac. Angelo was really friendly and helpful…also pleasing on the eye ladies, who doesn’t love a sexy Italian waiter!?


I started my dinner with the Spiced Cornish Wood Pigeon with celeriac and red wine, it was beautiful. The pigeon was tender and perfectly cooked, just a little pink in the middle which is how I like it! The celeriac and red wine complemented the meat well and the overall presentation was of a Michelin standard. I love a slate plate me!



Now the main course. STEAK. We were all sat there drinking red wine and couldn’t resist. Rib-eyes all round please! Mine was cooked rare and I chose the truffle oil for my sauce. The steak was tender and cooked to perfection, nice and bloody! MMMMMMMMMMM. We went for sides in the centre of the table that consisted of crispy kale (how healthy), roasted parsnips, spiced broccoli, chunky chips (not so healthy) and finally cauliflower and bone marrow gratin. It was a real experience, high standard of ingredients and just all round yummmmy. Comfort food made exciting with the chef’s use of seasoning and the fusions of flavours.


Now for the dessert, the three of us had everything on the menu on a taster board. My god was it worth it! Everything just made you ‘mmmmm’ whilst you ate (I’m hoping you all do that too). I don’t feel I need to explain much about these desserts, the picture says it all. They honestly tasted as good as they looked.



Incredible food which I believe is Michelin star quality; how this restaurant is quite unknown baffles me. Yes, we went on a Monday but it’s the kind of place that should be packed every night. Amazing views, great atmosphere, lovely wine but most of all exceptional food! Well done Northbank! 

No comments:

Post a Comment